If you are searching for ways to not just do retargeting but win it. Then, let me assure you, you’ve landed at the right place. This is your ultimate guide to winning Facebook Retargeting Ads in 2022.
Now, let me say it out loud and clear, Facebook has proved itself to be the best platform for retargeting ads. Yes, yes, I know there are many other platforms for retargeting ads like Google ads, LinkedIn ads, YouTube Ads and so much more, but Facebook always emerges as the clear winner.
The question emerges: How? The answer is simple, Facebook Pixel.
So what’s Facebook Pixel? To put it simply, Facebook pixel is just a piece of code that helps you track conversions from Facebook Ads, optimize your ads, build customized audiences for future ads and create retargeting ads.
Let me guide you on how to set up retargeting ads on Facebook.
Firstly, you’ll need to set up and install Facebook pixel on your Website to continue.
To learn how to set up and install Facebook Pixel, check out my full tutorial here.
Let’s move on.
SETTING UP FACEBOOK RETARGETING ADS
CREATING CUSTOM AUDIENCE
- Click on the three-line menu and select audience.
- Click on Create a Custom Audience option.
- Choose your custom audience source and click on next.
- Now, customize the audience as per your needs.
- Add the audience name and description.
- Finally, Click on Create Audience.
CREATING LOOKALIKE AUDIENCE
- Click on the three-line menu and select the audience option.
- Then, Click on Create a Lookalike Audience option.
- Choose your source.
- Select your audience location.
- Now, select the audience size. And set the lookalike % according to your needs.
- Then, click on the create audience option.
Note: It will take about 6-24 hours for the lookalike audience to be created but no worries, you don’t need to wait for that to use it. In the meantime, you can create your Ad.
TIPS TO GET MOST OF YOUR LOOKALIKE AUDIENCE
- Create two different sets i.e. Lookalike for not only Website Visitors but also for Customer List.
- Create two audiences for both sets. Set one at 1% and the other at 2% for both.
- In the customer list audience, excluding website visitors will also get you better results.
- To avoid action overlap, try and run both audience sets at different times to understand which performs better.
- Then, Continue with the ad set that performs the best.
Now, you can move on to creating the ad.
CREATING THE AD
- Click on the three-line menu and select Ads Manager.
- Then, Click on Create and choose your Ad Objective.
- Add Campaign Name and click on continue.
- Set the budget according to your needs.
- Set audience. While doing that, remember to choose the audience you just created under the custom audience.
- Set placements. Choose Automatic Placement for Retargeting Ads.
- Now, add the creatives for the ad and also add the website URL.
- Add Primary Text, Headline, and Description.
- Click on Publish.
Now that you’ve learned how to create retargeting ads for Facebook, let me give you some tips for winning these ads.
Let’s move on to the gold mine for retargeting ads. Also, I’ll share some kick-ass tips to skyrocket your retargeting ads so keep reading.
LET’S START WITH SOME POWERFUL RETARGETING AD TYPES:
- Carousel Testimonial Ads- Just as the name suggests, creating testimonial ads in the form of a carousel proves to be a success. I would suggest using up to 3 testimonials. It can be in the form of an image. In fact, you can even create it in the form of a video.
- Carousel Ads Showing Benefits- For this, note out your top 3 benefits. Avoid cliche benefits like best customer support and rather focus on more unique aspects. Make a carousel ad using those benefits. This will help your audience understand you better and drive more results.
- Objection Busting Ads- In this, make a list of the most common objections faced by you. The aspects which make the customers turn down. Avoid objections like pricing because if the customer finds your product to be expensive, he/she is most likely not your prospect. Also, try and find more genuine issues. Pick out the top 3 objections. Design your Ad to combat these objections. You can also go for a 60-second video to tackle this.
- Free offer or Coupon- You must be familiar with this. Providing the audience with free offers or discount coupons has always proven to be successful. Also, use the element of urgency and scarcity in this to create more buzz. Just a suggestion, don’t make your audience addicted to these offers. Make sure to attach it to some specific event or your audience will just wait for those offers and you’ll not get any sales without them.
- Upsell or Cross-sell- One mistake made by most people is that they don’t promote to their current or past customers. Never forget them. But make sure to not sell them the product that they already bought. Market new or similar products to those prospects.
Now, you know what types of ads will have the best impact on retargeting audiences.
Let’s move on to a few of the successful practices that can help you win Facebook Retargeting Ads.
BEST PRACTICES FOR FACEBOOK RETARGETING ADS
- Firstly, the most common mistake made by most marketers is to choose Reach or Traffic as the objective while creating retargeting ads. I would suggest you avoid this and directly aim for conversions or catalog sales. This will reduce cost per click and also provide better results.
- Please stop using creepy retargeting copies like ‘You almost bought this’ or ‘Complete your checkout now’. It really throws off the viewer and feels like an invasion of their privacy. With the increase in focus on privacy, this type of copy highlights the tracking and as a result, makes the user feel insecure.
- I cannot stress this more. Keep refreshing your Ad creatives or keep changing up offers. Using the same creatives or offers tires the audience and as a result, causes Ad fatigue. And you definitely don’t want that happening.
- Modify your ad imagery that will speak to your specific audiences. For instance, your warm audiences who are familiar with your brand, use images that they can easily recognize. It can be your image, brand face, or the location, whatever defines your brand best for your audiences.
- Just because it’s retargeting ads, don’t reduce your audience size. Try and keep it as large as possible while also keeping it specific to the core. For example, instead of targeting people who visited your website in the past 7 days, target people who visited in the past 180 days. This gives Facebook a broader audience to target. Facebook has all the data. So instead of just targeting people who added to the cart, it can target all website visitors. This can also prevent ad fatigue.
- Do not miss out on the off-facebook audiences. This includes previous customers, website visitors, email lists, and typically people who have taken any action off- Facebook to get onto your database or customer’s list. This is because a video viewer or Facebook page visitor might not become your warm audience. Let’s be honest, it’s easy to just watch a 20-second video, it doesn’t necessarily mean they have warmed up. So don’t forget the audience Off-Facebook.
- Including a Retargeting Ad Set in your CBO campaign. This will give Facebook to automatically manage your campaign budget across all budget sets and provide the best results. Furthermore, It will distribute the budget to the ad sets with the best opportunities throughout the whole campaign.
These were some of my tips and tricks to master Facebook Retargeting Ads. Don’t worry if some of these don’t work out for you. You can always make little adjustments to suit yourself. After all, Facebook Ads are all about trial and testing. So go all out, try whatever you want, and find out what fits you the best.
Now, you’re all set.
All I would say is to trust Facebook Ads and use it wisely. It will definitely do wonders for your business.
Do share in the comments below any other tips that might be helpful.
Hope this was valuable!
For any queries, comment below and I’ll try my best to resolve them for you. And for more such kick-ass info, go check out my blogs.